Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Whitmire and Madden: Programatic decisions, not population growth, causing prison overcrowding

Dominic Gonzales at Texas Criminal Justice Coalition pulled some choice quotes from yesterday's hearing that respond directly to Lt. Gov. Dewhurst's ill-informed assertion that Texas hasn't built enough prisons to match population growth. Check out the short flash video with audio clips from the two chairmen speaking at yesterday's joint meeting between the House Corrections and Senate Criminal Justice Committee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hat is off to Senator Whitmire and Rep. Madden. These two gentlemen have the guts to stand up to Gov. Perry and L.G Dewhurst and I am so proud of them I could cry.

Senator Whitmire is one of my favorite people and he is fair and just. May the Lord bless him and keep him safe. What a blessing to have him and I am not even from his district. I would vote for him anyday and hope he remains healthy.

Anonymous said...

I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU BECAUSE I KNOW THAT PRAYER CHANGES THINGS BECAUSE MY HUSBAND IS ALSO AT THE TDCJ HOTEL ON PETTY CHARGES I AM A TAXPAYER AND SO WAS MY HUSBAND UNTIL AFTER SERVING SEVEN YEARS ON PROBATION AND BE SENT TO PRISION FOR A VIOLATION OF LATE FEES AND OTHER PETTY CHARGES BUT YOU GUYS ARE ANGELS AND THIS IS 07 AND GOD finish on the 7th day amen and again thank you